Pasta with Zucchini (Courgettes) is a classic Southern Italian dish. It's naturally vegan and can be made gluten-free with only a few ingredients.
What should I do with all the zucchini from my garden?
This is a question I hear a lot.
Even if you don't grow your own summer squash, people seem to end up with too much than they know what to do with.
But if you're looking for a really easy way to enjoy it, Pasta with Zucchini is the recipe for you!
Pasta with Zucchini is a classic Southern Italian recipe.
Once you learn how to make it, it's something you can turn to when you want an easy pasta recipe.
In fact, once you learn recipes like these, you can change them up with the produce you have on hand.
For example, if you don't have zucchini (courgettes) for this recipe, you can make something similar with eggplant (aubergines).
How to cook Zucchini
Zucchini has a high water content, so be sure to allow it to cook down in this recipe before adding it to the pasta.
It also helps to slice the summer squash as thin as you can for this preparation.
Since the zucchini has so much water in it, don't be surprised when the quantity you start off with in the skillet reduces in volume as it cooks.
It's not nearly as dramatic as with fresh spinach, but you will notice a difference.
I feel like you can't really overcook the zucchini unless you forget about it and it burns, so when in doubt, leave it on the stove a few minutes longer if you're not sure if it's done.
Zucchini is a very nutritious vegetable.
I learned a lot about it from this Organic Facts article.
This chart is a summary of the health benefits of eating zucchini.
Pasta with Zucchini is a satisfying main dish.
I love it on its own, but I also like to serve it with a colorful salad.
It pairs very well with Mediterranean flavors.
And you can never go wrong with a simple Tomato Bruschetta.
Pasta with Zucchini Recipe
Pasta with Zucchini (Courgettes)
- 1 package spaghetti, (12 ounces) gluten-free, if desired
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini, (3-4 squash) sliced into thin rounds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the package directions. Reserve about a cup of the cooking water, drain it and transfer the cooked spaghetti to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini rounds and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are very tender and have reduced in size.
- Transfer the cooked zucchini and any remaining cooking oil to the bowl of pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss everything together to combine, adding a little of the reserved cooking water as necessary, then serve.